Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Little Wonders

A few weeks ago perusing WholeFoods Market  in Portland I saw that they were selling small potted fig trees. Now, a fig tree is something to plant (and sell) in California or Italy, but not in Maine. Nevertheless I was more than pleased that Wholefoods decided to sell them  anyhow, and I got one. I have a few plants like hibiscus and oleander which are outdoors all summer, but indoor plants during the winter, and so far I’ve been lucky getting them alive through the winter for several years. The fig tree would just have to have the same fate.

Nevertheless, of course I bought it because I want figs!

fig-tree 

Since I have no experience with fig trees I read up on their growing cycle and what to expect (or let’s say hope for!). The literature says, 2 growing cycles per season, preceded by flowering. I inspected the fig tree for flowers, but nothing to be seen.

This morning I checked again, and almost jumped in delight and surprise: a tiny fig is growing!!!  :-)

DSC_1055 DSC_1057

No comments:

Post a Comment