Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Golden Beet Salad at Rupununi


 
It was one of those hot summer day, temperatures in the upper 80s, bright blue sky, bright sun and a light ocean breeze (likely). I drove to Acadia National Park to get a dose of vacation in 'vacationland', still being back home in the afternoon to get some work done. It was the first time I went there since the Obamas had visited. I wondered if it was the newly added national PR or simply the height of summer tourist season that the parked cars at the start of the hikes had tripled and that at Jordan Pond House the cars parked a 1/2 mile down the carriage road. Okay...

The walk around Jordan pond was relaxed and picturesque. I was not up for climbing heights due to the heat, but the light breeze and the shady trees made for a great, relaxed, breezy, even leveled hike. 



Back at Jordan Pond House, I was redirected from the lawn to the receptionist to the information desk to be handed a beeper and a "1h waiting time". After 15 min waiting, I decided that despite of visions of popovers and lobster salad I did not have the patience to wait, and handed the beeper to another guest in line at the information desk. I headed out of the crowds towards a relatively empty Bar Harbor, and my other favorite restaurant, Rupununi, had no line and plenty of tables. "Life as it should be". The golden beet salad with goat cheese, greens and pine nuts was delicious, as usual.



The crowds felt a bit un-Maine-ish today.

No comments:

Post a Comment