Friday, August 5, 2016

Island Time, Part 1

Hope, you have some time, and come on a trip with me…..

Stonington on Deer Isle, ME, is the quintessential Maine village: scenic, cozy, sleepy, beautiful, authentic and far removed from the realities of the real world. The true island feeling. The realities stay behind on the mainland.

The other day, on a hot Sunday, when hiking did not seem like a good idea, I settled for the next best thing, a long, winding drive over the back roads of Maine. I had not been to Deer Isle for years, but I had recently heard that there is a new restaurant, and I just need one reason (a tasty meal is a good enough for me) to head to a far away place.

The shady, empty road took me to Blue Hill first. Blue Hill is located on the southern end of a hilly region that still today grows wild blueberries, thus, the  name Blue Hill. Blue Hill is one of my favorite villages, but there is not much to do there besides a few stores and I yet have to find a good restaurant. They open and close, and so often I just pass through on my way to Deer Isle.

A must-stop is the Blue Hill Coop, for its eclectic selection of organic foods, home-made salads and sandwiches. I bought an amazing beet kombucha, and have already convinced myself that I have to stop there again, just for this kombucha.

stonington_me-1

stonington_me-1-2

Walking around on a hot, sunny Sunday in July the town appeared deserted and much like Italy during siesta in August. Stores shuttered, to open again, when the heat is less oppressive.

stonington_me-1-3

stonington_me-1-8

stonington_me-1-9

stonington_me-1-10

stonington_me-1-11

stonington_me-1-14

An old store, converted into a mix of espresso bar, chocolatier, and flower store made a few people stop and seek refuge from the heat.

stonington_me-1-16

stonington_me-1-18

The art box --- a converted old cigarette dispenser.

stonington_me-1-17

After a short stopover, it was time to continue to the second part of the trip. Island time! Stay tuned for part 2!

stonington_me-1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment