Monday, May 2, 2016

Hand-stamped tea towels

Besides bringing plenty of work, April was a month of creative adventures. I was inspired by the most beautiful dishtowel in had seen on a blog, with tropical leaves. I wanted this towel so much but, nothing similar was to be found, not on Etsy or anywhere. So, I googled the next best thing: how to make hand stamped dish towels?

Turns out it is fairly easy to do and I found the most beautiful hand-stamped towels ideas (this is a good tutorial, this one, too). I bought some inexpensive flour sack towels on Amazon for $8  and a liquid (Liquitex Professional Fabric Medium) that I mixed with my acrylic colors to create fabric dyes, and then scoured for some pretty rubber stamps at Michael’s and Hobby Lobby.

On a sunny afternoon, I mixed my paint, a nice Martha Stewart like aqua, and tried to figure out how to get a crisp stamp imprint. The first tea towel inadvertently  became the ‘test towel’. It worked best using an inexpensive foam roller that I soaked with paint and then rolled over the stamp.  So, I stamped away, amazed. The towels dried for 48h, and then I ironed them to make the color permanent.

A great mother’s day gift idea… and the ideas are endless. Potato stamps, even cutting rubbers into triangles for geometric stamps, or using lemons.

making_tea_towels-1

making_tea_towels-1-2

making_tea_towels-1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment