Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Banana muffins (GF)

This morning when I walked into the kitchen, I shivered. “brrh, it’s cold!” On the deck I saw hoarfrost covering the planks and the first patio furniture items placed outside. I thought about my baby kale plants, prematurely planted, but then assessed that kale is tough and even survives winter. While the coffee was brewing, I lit a fire in the oven.

The semester and school year comes to an end. Students cram for finals, defend their research work back to back before the ‘final date to defend’, and make plans for the first hikes “once it is all over”. I still try to keep my cool in the midst of too much going on at the same time.

Last weekend, I decided there needs to be time for some baking. I had collected a recipe by Tartine Gourmand, gluten-free banana muffins. This recipe had been brewing in my imagination for a while, and I even had hunted down the beautiful daisy shaped baking pan on the internet.

GF_banana_muffins-1-7

I halved the recipe from the original one, and I still ended up with about 10 muffins. Time to share!

This is a quick and easy recipe, quite healthy, with olive oil instead of butter, ground flax, and maple syrup instead of sugar.  I used the Trader Joe’s gluten-free flour mix. I don’t bake often, and the many individual flours of GF baking always seem to go bad on me, and so I keep my stash small.

GF_banana_muffins-1

Yumm.

Banana muffins (GF)

  • 1/6 (40ml) cup olive oil
  • 1/6 (40ml) maple syrup
  • 1/2 TB vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup (30ml) plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 ripe banana, smashed
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/2 cup GF all-purpose flour
  • 1 TB golden flax meal (I only had brown flax)
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare a baking sheet with silicon molds (they are typically too floppy if not placed on a baking sheet).
  2. Mix the wet ingredients with a hand mixer in a bowl: olive oil, maple syrup, egg, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and banana.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl: flours, flax seed, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
  4. Mix both wet and dry ingredients until smooth.
  5. Pour about 2 TB of dough into a small mold. The muffins will rise, and if you want ‘flat’ daisies, don’t overfill the pan.
  6. Bake for 20-25 min, depending on the size of the molds (longer if you use a single pan). Cool and unmold.
  7. Optional: dust with confectioner’s sugar.
  8. Eat fresh, they taste best in the first 1-2 days.

GF_banana_muffins-1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment