Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Hummus of my Dreams

I have made hummus for a while, but somehow it always seemed a bit watery or not as good tasting as store-bought one. I was ready to get on the bottom of this. What do I need to change? I looked around for an authentic recipe, and found out that the proportions of chickpeas to tahini are essential: ca 2 cups of cooked chickpeas and at least 1/4 cup of tahini. Voila, the (home made) hummus of my dreams!

hummus_best

Hummus (ca 2 cups)

  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas, liquid reserved 
  • 1/2 tsp fleur de sel (or kosher salt), or to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup tahini  (sesame paste)
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 Tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or water)
  • a few drops of Tabasco sauce, to taste
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
  • Paprika, for garnish

Place all ingredients into a food processor (except the salt) and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Scoop into a bowl and drizzle with a good quality olive oil and garnish with paprika.  

No comments:

Post a Comment