Monday, February 8, 2010

My first attempt at Onigiri



I am still in the honeymoon phase with my new neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, and have moved on to sushi rice. Accidentally, I came across a post of how to make onigiri this morning, all with photo instructions. I've seen those seran-wrapped rice balls in Japan many times, as Japanese 'fast food' in 7-11s or supermarkets, but did not really see the appeal in, well, eating a chunk of sticky rice. Nevertheless, this did not keep me from another culinary adventure in my kitchen and trying out of how to make them. As you can see in the photo, my technique improved from the first overstuffed one.

For instructions, see the Just Hungry blog.

I stuffed mine with a mixture of a a boca burger, a few Trader Joes meatless meatballs, a few scallions, 1 TB of Korean chilli paste, garlic, ginger, all ground in the food processor and then fried in some chili oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment