Monday, June 13, 2011

Bay leaf palooza

I tasted them for the first time in the south of France: a 4 ft bay leaf bush in a garden delivered fragrant aromatic fresh bay leaves for stews and soups, and I fell in love with them. Later that year I found a small bay leaf plant in one my favorite nurseries, Everlasting Farms, and after that I think the trend caught on: now they are available on the Orono farmers market at Snakeroot Farms. So, naturally I have 2 plants. In the winter, they are indoors, sparsely watered, not too warm, but once outside in the early summer, they get very happy with the rain and sunshine and start to grow twice the leaves. The leaves mature over the summer, and there are no new leaves until the next spring. So, at the moment it is bay leaf palooza !

new bay leaves bay leaf plants bay leaf plant at FM

No comments:

Post a Comment