Pictures from the farmers market.
Appleton Creamery Halloumi and Feta.
Feta Pumpkin Spinach Muffins
- cooking spray (for the muffin pan)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 255g cubed butternut squash, cut 1/2-inch cubes (I buy peeled butternut squash)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large handful of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds kernels, roasted, unsalted
- 100g cubed feta (full-fat)
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 180 ml non-flavored almond milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
Sprinkle the olive oil, salt and pepper over the cubed squash. Arrange in a single layer on a baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes so that the squash is mostly cooked, but not mushy or dry. Set aside to cool.
In a bowl beat the eggs and almond milk together. Sift the flours and baking powder onto the mix, add in some salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, and mix until smooth. Fold in gently the spinach, sunflower seeds, feta, and all of the mustard. At last, fold in the baked squash.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, filling each hole 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops and sides of the muffins are golden, and the muffins have set up completely. Let cool for a couple minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.