Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Maine's own: Stonewall Kitchen scones


On a trip to Bar Harbor over the sunny, yet cold but marvelous Columbus day weekend with the foliage peaking, I picked up 2 boxes of Stonewall Kitchen scone mix. Today, I baked the first batch, cranberry orange scones with fresh orange zest and a few more cranberries. I used Ina Garten's trick, and pulsed the ingredients, including the cold, chopped butter in a large food processor for just a few pulses. To get a flaky scone, it is necessary to have intact little butter 'bubbles', and pulsing the ingredients in a food processor for 4-5 times does just that. Add ice cold water, pulse some more, and the scone dough is ready. I filled the small triangles of my scone pan and baked for 12-14 min (turned oven off after 12 min). They are the most flaky crunchy and tasty scones ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment