Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Miso Cod and Vegetables


My current favorite mix of sauteed vegetables is zucchini, cut into thin strips, diced red bell pepper or tomatoes, and thinly sliced lacinato kale, sauteed with small diced some onion, salt and pepper, and when it is all done and still has a light crunch I add red miso. A half table spoon of red miso, dissolved in a 1/3 cup of hot water, and mixed into the vegetables, and slightly cooked down for 1 min. Sometimes,  I add farro soaked over night, and 1 TB of harrisa or Trader joe's red pepper spread for serving. A wonderful earthy seasonal flavorful combination.

A few days ago I came across the famous "Miso black cod" served at Nobu. Although google search told me that black cod and regular cod have not much in common, besides both being fish, I tried the recipe with the delicious fresh cod fillet that I had bought on the farmers market the other day. And, I admit, this recipe is a winner.

Miso Cod
1 cod fillet, cut into serving size pieces

Mariande:
3 TB red miso (I guess, white miso works, too)
dissolved in 1 cup of boiling hot water 
2 TB sake
1 TB rice wine vinegar
2 TB sugar

Immediately add the sake, rice wine vinegar and sugar to the hot miso mix so that the sugar can dissolve. Mix well, and let cool down to room temperature. Pour mixture in a glass dish with a lid, place cod fillets inside, and marinate at least overnight in the fridge. The chef's version of the original recipe calls for 2-3 days of marinading. I tried it after 1 day and it was delicious.

To prepare: Heat pan with cooking spray, and saute fillets on both sides for about 2-3 min each. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment