A few days ago I finally cooked again something that resembles a meal. The summer squash are 3 (any size) for $1 at the farmers market right now. There are boxes of free squash along the way where I go walking in the evening. This summer, I used them for spiralized ‘znoodle’ salads. But the znoodle salad has a now a competitor: the fritters. The ‘pancakes’ are not really fried, just pan-fried. They are fairly easy and fast to make, with a grater for the summer squash and the carrot, a handful of corn kernels and a nice mixture of herbs and nutritional yeast to give them a solid, nutty flavor. Easy summer food! But very satisfying. The key is in the nutritional yeast.
First, grate the summer squash and carrot in a bowl. Add the grated parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs, and an egg. Now, for the flavoring: I used a combination of dried thyme and fresh mint, and a heaping helping of nutritional yeast, and some red pepper flakes for some background sizzle.
I measured out 1/4 cups of fritter, and then made them flat in the pan.
After about 5 minutes on each side they are ready to go.
Summer squash fritters (makes about 4 fritters)
- 1 larger summer squash (ca 8 inch)
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1/4 corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- 3 TB nutritional yeast
- 2 TB grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 –1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (to your liking)
- 1 egg
- salt, pepper
- fresh or dried herbs: thyme and mint
- 1 TB red pepper flakes
- 1 TB of olive oil (divided)
- Grate the summer squash and carrots in a large bowl.
- Add the corn, yeast, parmesan, panko, herbs, and pepper flakes. Mix gently.
- In a separate cup, swirl the egg with a fork, then pour over the mixture.
- Mix well, add a bit of salt and pepper, not much since the parmesan cheese adds the necessary salt.
- Heat a 10 inch pan with half of the olive oil, until hot.
- Scoop 1/4 cups from the mixture, place in pan and flatten. Sear for 5 minutes, and then turn, and sear for another 5min on the other side. Repeat for the other half of the mixture.
- Serve immediately. Optionally, sprinkle some Dukkah over the fritters.