Vegan chicken salad --- now, this sounds like an oxymoron, but the idea for this salad is inspired by a chicken salad recipe, but I wanted a vegan version. The flavors and textures is like a chicken salad, but the main ingredients are roasted cauliflower florets and chickpeas instead. This ‘chicken’ salad tastes wonderful, very crunchy, and it is very satisfying and also filling thanks to the vegan mayonaise. It travels well to picnics, and keeps in the fridge for a few days. A summer staple!
Vegan “Chicken” Salad
- 1/2 cup fat-reduced veganaise
- 1/3 cup mirin (or sushi vinegar)
- 1/4 cup mango chutney (out of a jar)
- 2 TB curry powder
- 1 ts salt
Mix all these ingredients in a food processor until really smooth. Scrap every last bit out with a silicon spatula and place in a large mixing bowl.
- 2 bags of frozen cauliflower (unthawed) or 1 fresh head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 long stalks of celery, cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup of cashews, chopped
- Optional: 1/4 cup raisins or fresh grapes, halved
Preheat oven to 350F, and place the cauliflower florets on a baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Roast for about 20-30 min until tender and slightly roasted.
Meanwhile, cut the celery and mix the remaining ingredients with the curry salad sauce.
Add the cauliflower, and mix.
Serve a room temperature or chilled. Sprinkle with cilantro or leafy parts of celery.