Saturday, April 4, 2015

Goddess Green Kale Hummus

Waking up this morning, the light coming in through the bedroom window was so low that I knew I would need to keep the lights on all day. In an effort to make the best out of this rainy, snowy, dark Easter Saturday, I designated it to be a ‘pajamas day’, an in-house day, cozy in front of the tv with endless netflix movies, never needing to wear any ‘real’ clothes and no need for make-up either, getting some work done, and otherwise just lingering. Sounded great.

Recently, I figured out that a neuro-fuzzy logic rice cooker is the perfect device to cook dried chickpeas without having to plan ahead and soaking them first. A slow cooker takes about 12h without soaking, a pressure cooker 45min but I feel compelled to watch the dangerous device; electric pressure cookers are about $100 but all of them are really big (6-12 cup) and I do not need another gadget. So, I tried the rice cooker last week and in one normal rice cooking cycle it also cooked dry chickpeas to perfection.

kale hummus_chickpeas

These are channa masala (black chickpeas) which I picked up in an Indian store. About 1 cup of dried chickpeas, plenty of water (I filled about half the pot), 2 bay leaves and putting it on basmati rice cooking.

With my second batch of chickpeas, I made hummus for the week, but not just any hummus, a goddess green hummus with kale. So simple, and so good!

kale hummus_g

Green Goddess Kale Hummus (makes ca. 2 cups)

  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas, liquid reserved, otherwise some water 
  • 1/2 tsp fleur de sel (or kosher salt), or to taste
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup tahini  (sesame paste)
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 Tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or water)
  • 3 large handfuls of chopped lacinato kale
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
Place all ingredients into a food processor (except the salt) and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Add water as needed to make the hummus come together and get the right consistency. Scoop into a bowl and drizzle with a good quality olive oil.  

No comments:

Post a Comment