Sunday, June 1, 2014

Buttermilk Lassi

Today was a Martha Stewart day. These are the day when I run around mad to get the house in order for a party. While doing things, I get more ideas until all looks like, well, done by Martha Stewart. This time it is a baby shower for a friend, who has a baby girl pretty soon. Since I plan to do the shower on the deck, party planning includes not only getting the house, but the garden and deck in order. Balloons, pink decorations, flowers, the cutest tiniest pink baby flipflops at Old Navy, pink swirl cakes with pink frosting…. all good fun.

buttermilk_lassi_2

Since my friend is from Bangladesh and many friends that attend are from India I thought it might be nice to serve lassi, a refreshing yogurt drink. I googled for authentic recipes and found some that actually involved buttermilk instead of yogurt ---- a similar tart taste and refreshing with plenty of probiotics. ---- I had to try it out. It is fabulous. I am sure to make this more often this summer. Here is a buttermilk lassi recipe.

buttermilk_lassi

Buttermilk Lassi   (1 serving)

  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup cold, filtered spring water
  • 1/2 cup ice cubes
  • 1 1/2 TB sugar
  • optional: 1/2 cup of fruit (I added 1 stalk of rhubarb)

for garnish:

  • sweetened shredded coconut
  • chopped pistachios
  • sliced dried cranberries

Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend until frothy. Pour into a large glass and decorate with shredded coconut, chopped pistachios, and top with cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment