Saturday, March 22, 2014

Warming the soul

Saturday morning. The sun shines. There is a winter farmers market today. The outlook for the rest of today predicts snowfall of 3-6 inches from 2pm to 9pm.

Yesterday at the grocery store, I placed my produce and other items on the conveyor belt while behind me the following conversation unfolded.

Woman One: “The Kardashians are cancelled?!”

Woman Two: “WHAAAATT?!!!?!”

Women Two: “My life is over.”

Their random scan of the environment while rummaging through their grocery cart likely also captured the headline of the tabloids.  The other read that Khloe is taking back Lamar. And then there is Kim on the Vogue cover, in a wedding dress, with Kanye West tamed and wrapped around her, with a look in her eyes that gives everyone who ever doubted her the finger.

For the last few weeks I listened to Maya Angelou and her “I know why the caged bird sings”, read by herself. Her poignant story about her childhood in the south, before the civil rights movement, a seemingly segregate world between blacks and white drew me in. I could not wait to listen to the also autobiographical “Letter to my daughter'”. Maya Angelou never had a daughter, but a son, and she speaks to all the daughters out there. In one of the first chapters she says “Don’t whine. Whining is not only graceless, but it can be dangerous. It can alert a brute that a victim is in the neighborhood.”

Thank you, Sister. I will keep my whining in check, and if the Maine winter lasts until June.

Yesterday, I felt I deserved to get away from it all for a day, to recharge and reclaim the good life, and I headed to the place that always does the trick for me: Belfast. A lunch at Chase’s Daily will renew my soul with the belief that life is good. First I had a fresh pressed juice at the Juice Cellar, then I walked around town.

bel_1

bel_2

After my little walk I was ready for lunch only to find the following: Chase’s was closed. Not only closed, but repainted.

bel_3

bel_4

I was glad that I was not that hungry, as if my gut knew more than me ahead of time. Also I thought that the entire appeal of Belfast is really in Chase’s for me. I ventured to the next best thing: the ocean, in its winter dress.

bel_5

Then, I drove home and baked Ashley’s vegan, GF brownies. Needed something to warm the soul.

bel_6

No comments:

Post a Comment