The day proceeded almost as planned: with skiing and donuts. However, it took a slight right turn after I found a set of pristine donut pans in my pantry when I was looking for something else. Donuts! Baked donuts! Exactly during the time they baked in the oven (18 min) I cleared the entire driveway of its 10 inches snow layer. Without a snow blower, it would take me about 2 hours.
My reward was a freshly baked, delicious donut, with glaze and still warm, a cup of coffee and the prospect of skiing in winter wonderland for the rest of the afternoon. Not bad.
Baked chocolate donuts (GF, vegan)
- 1 cup all-purpose GF flour/baking mix (Bob Mill)
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup Dagoba cocoa powder
- 2 TB almond meal
- 2 TB fine coconut flakes
- 2 TB ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 TB grapeseed oil (or organic canola oil)
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons earth balance buttery spread
- 2 TB almond milk
- 1/4 ts rum extract
- 1/2 ts instant espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a donut pan.
- For the donuts: Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir until combined. Make sure to remove all clumps with a sieve. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Let batter sit for 5 minutes for the flax seed to plump up and bind the dough.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each mold about a little bit more than half (I definitely overfilled mine). Smooth out the top of the batter with a spoon. The batter should be enough for 2 of these pans, not just 1 plus one extra donut.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Use a fork to remove the donuts and place on a cooling rack and allow to fully cool before adding glaze.
- For the frosting: Add the frosting ingredients into a medium bowl and beat with electric mixer until smooth. Apply with large spoon.