Saturday, September 7, 2013

The fruit of the land

After a rainy and sunny week there was one thing everyone seemed to do this Saturday morning: mow the lawn. With that we were all synchronized again with a clean cut lawn. Mine started out with removing some hoses that I use in the summer to keep the garden watered, clearing out weeds in the vegetable garden, cutting back the rhubarb to freeze the stalks and a first harvest of the ripe elderberries in my garden. Elderberries are probably just known amongst the hippiest of the hippies in the US, but they are fairly common in Europe. Looking like blueberries, but a sweet-bitter taste make them less popular. Nevertheless, I swear by elderberry juice in the fall with a hefty amount of Vitamin C fencing off the first colds.

These days I make myself a vegan smoothie in the morning, mostly with frozen strawberries, almond milk, a bit of stevia and a tablespoon physillum seed. This morning I added a cup of fesh elderberries and a stalk of rhubarb. Delicious! The fruit of my own land.

elderberry_smoothie

elderberries

1 comment: