This salad is another recreation from a lunch bought my trips through Maine, specifically it was from the Belfast Co0p. It is mild, not overpowering but has nice texture and flavors (and very healthy, of course). It works well with all kinds of vegetables but the combination of green, orange and red with the dark quinoa and dried currants and the nutty almonds with a touch of garam masala makes it perfect.
Indian Quinoa salad (makes 2-3 servings)
- 2/3 cup black quinoa cooked for ca. 20 min in 1 1/3 cup of water, cooled
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly (mostly green parts)
- 3 TB sliced almond (I actually used sliced filberts)
- 1/4 cup dried currants (for sweetness)
- optionally: 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- salt to taste (0.5 ts)
- 1/2 TB ground garam masala
Mix all ingredients, and serve. It stores really well for up to 3 days in the fridge.