Sunday, April 14, 2013

Smoked Steelhead Trout

Work is slowly letting up a bit and I’ve been ready to cook something fun and more elaborate again. Yesterday on the grocery run, I bought a filet of steelhead trout, one of my favorite fish, a cross between salmon and trout, the color and taste of salmon but the leanness of trout. I decided to smoke it since it is so simple to make and so delicious at the same time. Jamie Oliver once made a smoker using a tin can and some chicken wire but I bought a simpler, stove-top device.

I placed a tablespoon of alderwood on the bottom of the smoker (less is more here, otherwise the steelhead trout gets too bitter), placed the trout on the rack, added some salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice, and closed the lid. I turned up the gas stove to medium, and within 15min the trout was cook (and smoked). It would be fabulous with the usual trimmings, such as sour cream, dill and capers, but it was also fabulous with mixed greens, goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette.

smoked_salmon_1

smoked_salmon_3

smoked_salmon_2

smoked_salmon_4

No comments:

Post a Comment