Monday, July 23, 2012

Symphony in Red

Yesterday, I made the best sorbet I ever ate. Haagen Dazs is very good, too, of course, but my version has more fruit and no sugar. I am still waiting for the popsicle molds being delivered by my favorite friend, the  UPS guy, but the cooling pot of the icecream maker was sufficiently chilled after 24h in the freezer. Time to make some sorbet.

The key of this sorbet are the frozen (!) raspberries. I find frozen raspberries are just so much more intense in flavor than fresh ones. The other addition are more flexible: strawberries, red currants, even a little bit of water melon. The key is to use 2 parts fruit to 1 part water (with a little bit of stevia), all pureed in the vitamix, and no need to strain anything. The fruit mix can be filled into molds or the ice cream maker. Tastetesting the mix, I thought that this makes an excellent basis for a fruity margarita!!!

Berry Sorbet

  • 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
  • 1 cup strawberries, or red currants
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/4 ts stevia (I use NuNaturals)

Prep: place ice cream cooling pot in the freezer for 24h.

Puree all berries with the water and stevia in a blender (best: Vitamix), and pour into a the chilled ice cream maker pot, insert the inset, and place the cover to top, and set to go. It takes about 30min for it to be done. Alternatively, fill popsicle mold and place in freezer. Enjoy!

sorbet_1

sorbet_2 

sorbet_3.

No comments:

Post a Comment